The Mt. San Jacinto men's tennis team became the winningest team in the program's history with a pair of victories on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Tuesday the Eagles easily defeated San Diego City 9-0 to remain unbeaten in conference play at 12-0. The victory boosted MSJC to their 16th overall win for the season surpassing last year's 15 win season and setting a new school record for victories.
On Wednesday the Eagles hosted NAIA powerhouse Bethany College from Kansas and came away with a tight 5-4 victory. Francisco Alvarado sparked the Eagles with a come from behind victory in singles (4-6, 7-6, 10-8) to give MSJC a 4-2 lead heading into doubles action. The team of Corey Sheehan and Taylor Witt won the #2 doubles match 6-3 and 6-2 to seal the victory. MSJC now stands at 17-2 on the year. The Eagles return to action on Tuesday when they host Palomar College at 2 pm.
The 2008 men's tennis team, set a school record for victories at 16 with a win Tuesday over San Diego Mesa.
Mens Community College Tennis
Pacific Coast Conference Dual Match played @ MSJC on 4/1/08
Mt. San Jacinto College vs San Diego City College
1. Mitchell Grajeda (msjc) def. Chris Sua (sdcc) 6-0, 6-1
2. Taylor Witt (msjc) def. Ray Tabuena (sdcc) 6-1, 6-1
3. Carlos Marquez (msjc) def. Jeffrey Castro (sdcc) 6-0, 6-1
4. Dan Nguyen-Huu (msjc) def. Duane Smith II (sdcc) 6-1, 6-0
5. Corey Sheehan (msjc) def. Elias Delgado (sdcc) 6-0, 6-0
6. Victor Villarreal (msjc) won by default
1. F Alvarado/D Nguyen-Huu (msjc) def. C Sua/J Castro (sdcc) 8-1
2. Torey Tripp/V Villarreal (msjc) def. R Tabuena/E Delgado (sdcc) 8-5
3. C. Sheehan/T Witt won by default
California Community College Tennis
Non-Conference Dual Match played on 4/2/08 @ MSJC
Mt San Jacinto College vs Bethany College (Kansas)
1. Mitchell De Jong (bc) def. Mitchell Grajeda (msjc) 6-4, 6-2
2. Taylor Witt (msjc) def. Adam Hambleton (bc) 6-0, 6-3
3. Dan Nguyen-Huu (msjc) def. Yuki-Rogerio Yamamoto (bc) 6-2, 7-6
4. Francisco Alvarado (msjc) def. Brad Bietau (bc) 4-6, 7-6, 10-8
5. Corey Sheehan (msjc) def. Skyler Verloop (msjc) 6-3, 6-3
6. John Feyerherm (bc) def. Carlos Marquez (msjc) 6-4, 6-2
1. M De Jong/B Bietau (bc) def. F Alvarado/D Nguyen-Huu (msjc) 6-2, 6-4
2. C Sheehan/T Witt (msjc) def. A Hambleton/R Yamamoto (bc) 6-3, 6-2
3. Jose Garcia/J Feyerherm (bc) def. C Marquez/M Grajeda (msjc) 6-7, 6-4, 10-7