November 26, 2013
Auditions for Mt San Jacinto College, San Jacinto Campus Production of
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
DATES: Monday, December 9th and Tuesday the 10th with call backs on Wednesday, December 11th
TIME: 6:00 – 9:00 pm on 12/9 and 12/10; 6-10 pm on 12/11
LOCATION: Mt San Jacinto College Theatre, San Jacinto Campus, 1500 Building, 1499 N. State Street, San Jacinto 92583.
Please prepare a Broadway song that best shows your voice. You may bring sheet music, as an accompanist will be provided, but feel free to bring a CD (without vocals) or your own accompanist. You may be asked to do a cold read from the script. Those auditioning should come prepared to dance, wearing loose clothing and appropriate shoes (no sandals).
Set in ancient Rome, this beloved musical is a salute to burlesque, featuring bawdy humor and broad physical comedy. The wide range of music includes ballads, patter songs, and novelty numbers. Actors frequently “break the fourth wall” and communicate directly with the audience. The show is full of farcical elements: wild plot twists, mistaken identities, slamming doors, and zany chase sequences.
This hysterical musical allows an ensemble of comic actors to shine. Everyone of college age and above is welcomed to audition. The cast consists of 13 singing/speaking roles and six courtesans. This is a highly physical show; all cast members need to be able to run and race about while singing and dancing.
Everyone who is cast in the production must enroll as a student in the course THA 209, Musical Production. The classes/rehearsals are Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs evenings, 6 to 9:50pm starting 1/22/14. There will be 6 weekend public performances starting on 3/14/14. There will be some additional rehearsals just prior to the performances. We are looking for committed team players.
The Director is MSJC Instructor and local theater artist Paul Jacques. The Musical Director is Hemet Unified and MSJC Instructor and local musician Rick Hoglund. Both men have taught and worked together on several successful MSJC musicals.
Roles available are:
- Pseudolus – Playful ringmaster of the show, slave to Hero, crafty yet lovable. Baritone. Comic song-and-dance man.
- Hero – The handsome, innocent young master, in love with Philia. Tenor. Comic song-and-dance man.
- Philia – The lovely-but-vacant courtesan next door, sweet and innocent. Soprano.
- Senex – Hero’s father, the aging master of the house. Baritone. Comic song-and-dance man.
- Domina – Senex’s overbearing, domineering wife. Mezzo soprano.
- Hysterium – Pseudolus’ hapless fellow slave to Senex and Domina. Tenor. Comic song-and-dance man.
- Lycus – A buyer and seller of courtesans. Baritone. Comic song-and-dance man.
- Miles Gloriosus – Pompous warrior, client of Lycus, intimidating buffoon. Baritone.
- Erronius – A doddering old man, Senex and Domina’s neighbor. Baritone.
- The Courtesans – The six courtesans of the House of Lycus: Tintinabula, Panacea, Vibrata, Gymnasia, and the Geminae twins. Various vocal ranges. Burlesque-style specialty dancers, sexy and scantily clad.
- The Proteans – Three omnipresent “clowns.” Various vocal ranges. “Three Stooges” types who appear in a number of roles as extras in many scenes.
We are also looking for people to work behind the scenes to assist with sound, lights, props, set and costumes. If you are interested in the technical side of the production and want to enroll as a student or become an official volunteer, please come to the audition and let us know.