October 28, 2013
The free event will be on the San Jacinto Campus
Mt. San Jacinto College is holding a grand opening of its new Veterans Resource Center (VRC) from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on November 7 at the San Jacinto Campus, 1499 North State Street, San Jacinto, CA 92583.
The event, which is free and open to public, will include esteemed guest speakers, honor guard presentation, local military organizations and association vendors. The grand opening ceremony will be held 11:30 to 12:30 p.m. A free lunch will be provided to veterans.
The new VRC is located in Room 1560 at the SJC Campus and will include:
- An available Veterans Counselor
- A Full-time dedicated School Certifying Official
- VA Student Workers as assisting employees who may provide:
- Free Veteran to Veteran Tutoring
- Free Veteran to Veteran Peer Mentoring
- Free One to One GI Bill Information
- Free computer use
- A lounge area with sofas and matching tables
- A conference / study area for meetings and tutoring
MSJC serves more than 800 veterans district wide
- At SJC the number is around 400
NOTE: The stated numbers above account for only Veterans who are obtaining benefits.
The VRC will provide a central location designated strictly for Veterans and their student life needs:
- GI bill benefits
- Student Support Services, or
- A place for pure camaraderie
The VRC will ultimately accommodate the influx of Veterans, past or present, through a seamless and supportive transition into college life.
For more information contact Hyman M. Alvia, MSJC veterans counselor, at 951-487-3248 or at email@example.com