State officials, faculty and staff gathered at Mt. San Jacinto College on May 19, 2011 to celebrate the groundbreaking for a new Social Sciences and Humanities building on the Menifee Valley Campus.
Wearing hard hats and using shovels that bore the MSJC logo, members of the MSJC Board of Trustees, college administration, the student trustee and aides to state legislators turned the first ground at the site of the new building.
photo credit: Terri Orchard
“We are very pleased in this tough economic time that the state has found funding for this,” said MSJC Superintendent/President Dr. Roger Schultz.
About 70 people attended the celebration, including field representatives for state Senator Bill Emmerson, R-Hemet and Assembly members Paul Cook, R-Yucca Valley, and Kevin Jeffries, R-Lake Elsinore.
Gina Gonzalez, Emmerson’s field representative, presented MSJC Board President Eugene Kadow with recognition on behalf of the state Legislature for the new building and for “providing vital services to the students of our community.”
Referred to as MVC Building 1, the new addition will be located east of the 600 building on the Menifee campus. Classroom Building 1 will be 2-stories and more than 33,800 gross square feet.
The construction of this building is not taking away funding for classes:
- The state is providing 100 percent of funding for this project.
- The state awarded $11.8 million to MSJC for this building.
- These state funds are “earmarked,” which means the money can only be used for construction and equipment and furniture for the building.
- The state approved funding this project because of MSJC’s high increase in student population. Over the 10 year period ending in 2009, MSJC experienced a 75% enrollment growth. MSJC needed more classrooms to house more students!
The state approved funding for the project in 2008, but funding was delayed because of California’s budget crisis. Funding was appropriated again in 2010 after the state was able to sell bonds. MSJC has three years to complete construction or risk losing the state funding.
This new building will allow MSJC to move some classes that are currently held in aging portables into the new facility with state-of-the-art equipment. MVC Building I is expected to open its doors to students by Fall 2012.
“This is a building that we truly need,” said Dennis Anderson, Vice President of Instruction. “As you know, we are rapidly growing. This building is going to be absolutely filled to the brim with wonderful students and wonderful faculty teaching them.”
First floor gross area: 18,495 S.F.
- 4 Lab/Classrooms
- 1-Library area
- 2-Assembly rooms, 1 with stadium style fixed seating.
Second floor gross area: 17,225 S.F.
- 3-Lab/Classroom/service areas
- Meeting rooms
photo credit: Terri Orchard, Melissa Ott, Jerome Billins and MSJC Marketing