- SI was introduced at MSJC - MVC in the Fall 2006.
- SI was expanded to MSJC - SJC in the Fall 2007.
- Since then, the MSJC SI Program has accumulated more than 30,000 student contact hours.
- Students who participate in SI at MSJC are more successful (higher success rates, lower attrition rates) than those who don't participate.
- The MSJC SI Program is funded by the SI Funds, the MVC and SJC Learning Resource Centers, the Basic Skills Initiative, an HSI Title V Grant, and an HSI Title V STEM grant.
- SI offers SI in Accounting, Anatomy & Physiology, Anthropology, American Sign Language (ASL), Biology, Computer Information Systems, Chemistry, English, English as a Second Language (ESL), History, Mathematics, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, and Spanish (note: course offerings vary by semester based on instructor and leader availability and funding)
- SI is currently exploring the extension of the current (face-to-face) MSJC SI Program to support on-line courses.
The MSJC Supplemental Instruction (SI) Program supports the academic achievement of all MSJC students by providing peer facilitated interactive group study sessions to enhance student understanding and retention of course material while encouraging successful student habits and creating independent learners.
The 4 diamonds in the SI Logo represent the 4 key players in the SI Program:
the SI students, the SI Leaders, the SI Instructors, and the SI Coordinator.
The MSJC SI Logo was developed using the 4 diamonds as a base and incorporting an abbreviated form of the SI Logo ("tell me, show me, involve me"). The final addition, the placement of the "hashi" was made in the Spring 2011 semester. The "hashi" (chopstick) is the symbol of the MSJC SI Program. In the Japanese culture, the hashi is a traditional wedding gift because in marriage, like hashi, it takes two to work. For the MSJC SI Program, the hashi represents the partnership between the SI Leader and the SI Instructor. Thanks to all the SI Leaders who contributed to the creation of the MSJC SI Logo!
The SI Program impacts all SLOs for the SI Students and PLOs for the SI Leaders and SI Mentors.
SI Students SLOs:
1. SI Students will demonstrate a deeper understanding of course material through improved test grades and overall class grades.*
2. SI Students will demonstrate higher results in the course SLOs.
3. SI Students will employ an improved study skills set.*
SI Leaders PLOs:
1. SI Leaders will identify multiple services available to assist students.
2. SI Leaders will integrate effective study skills into the SI sessions.*
3. SI Leaders will judge accurately their effectiveness as an SI Leader.*
SI Mentors PLOs:
1. SI mentors will judge accurately the effectiveness of the SI Leaders they mentor.
* Currently being measured.