The Mt. San Jacinto College Department of Matriculation and Outreach has positions open for students who are energetic, responsible, self-motivated, and eager to learn how to represent MSJC in a wide variety of activities and events throughout the upcoming year!
You will have the opportunity to work closely with high school and college students, as well as MSJC staff to pave your way to success at MSJC! We will help you build your knowledge of MSJC programs and services, college and career planning, community resources, and much more!!!
Under the direct supervision of the Outreach Services Assistant, the College Mentor will support all major functions of the Outreach Program at MSJC. This includes activities with elementary through high school students, as well as community and on-campus outreach activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide basic and accurate information to prospective and current MSJC students about the college and its programs and services
- Provide information to students regarding the MSJC online matriculation process, as well as other registration procedures as needed
- Assist students with appropriate Internet searches
- Assist Enrollment Services during peak Registration periods
- Keep literature racks stocked with updated MSJC brochures, programs and services information, course schedules, etc.
- Provide campus tours at your home campus for college fairs, High School Counselor's Breakfast, high school visitation days, and as needed
- Represent MSJC and set up information booths at college and career fairs, community events, high school and MSJC campus events
- Conduct group presentations to students and/or parents
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, administrators, students, public and private organizations and others
- Ability to maintain a high regard for tolerance and empathy paying particular attention to the intersections of race, gender, sexuality, religion and class
- Keep inventory of recruitment stock and office supplies in Outreach office
- Must prioritize information packets to prospective students by entering inquiry cards into the Access software program, arranging an appropriate packet, and mailing out packets to students in a timely manner
- Take messages and respond to inquiries regarding MSJC or re-direct to appropriate department
- Must be willing to work or be trained to work with word processing/typing and Outreach software programs
- Update contacts in Outreach Database
- Provide weekly reports to the Outreach Services Assistant at the MANDATORY FRIDAY SEMINARS
- Special Duties as assigned
COLLEGE MENTOR REQUIREMENTS
- Must be 18 years or older
- Demonstrate ability to work independently with self initiation, keeping in mind that you are part of a TEAM
- Must demonstrate TEAMWORK
- Must maintain the highest level of confidentiality (FERPA)
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Maintain professional relationships with the ability to represent MSJC positively at all times
- Must be prepared to learn various software programs (i.e., Campus Cruiser, Admission Applications)
- Express interest in helping others and in developing leadership skills
- Maintain cumulative and semester GPA at 2.5 at MSJC (3.0 cumulative and semester GPA if enrolling at MSJC from high school)
- Completion of at least 12 units at MSJC with a GPA of at least 2.5 (Newly enrolled students entering MSJC from high school will be taken into consideration on a case by case basis)
- Must enroll in and complete a minimum of six units each semester while employed as a College Mentor
- Must have a minimum of 10 available hours between 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. Occasional weekend hours may be required
- Must have reliable transportation
- Make a commitment to work as a College Mentor for at least one (academic) year
- Must complete an Introductory Meeting with the Outreach Services Assistant
- Must complete a College Mentor Survey
- MUST ATTEND SEMINARS EVERY FRIDAY from 9:30 AM -11:30 AM
- Good attitude, reliable, responsible, prompt, self motivated and work with enthusiasm!
PREFERRED RELATED EXPERIENCE
- College and/or community involvement through volunteer experience
- Experience with non-profit groups and/or student government
- Experience in organizing or coordinating college and/or community events
- Monday-Friday between 7:00 am to 5:00 pm (we will work with your class schedule).
- Some weekends and nights required dependent upon activities and events.
- Must have transportation to and from MSJC campuses and local area high schools
- Must be willing to learn with enthusiasm
- Must be able to attend MANDATORY meetings EVERY Friday from 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM
Completed applications will be reviewed by the Outreach Services Assistant within one week of submission. Desired applicants will be invited for an Interview.
Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled
For more information, please contact:
- Menifee Valley Campus:
- Beth Bowles, Outreach Services Assistant,
(951) 639-5315 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org