Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Help (new window)
Sign In
MSJC > Student Services > Veterans > Collecting Benefits

Collecting Benefits

DSC_0188.JPGCertification for Payment of Benefits
In order to collect benefits, please submit a Statement of Responsibility form to the Financial Aid/Veterans' Office each semester or anytime you add/drop a class during the semester. On this form, you will list the classes you are registered in and would like to count toward collecting your benefits. The certifying official will then cross reference the classes you are enrolled in against your degree pattern/Ed Plan and or college catalog to verify that they are required. Classes that are not required will not be certified. 

If your educational objective changes, you must meet with an MSJC counselor and obtain a new Education Plan and fill out the required paperwork. 

Note:  You cannot be certified for a Double Major or Dual Certificates.  You are only able to be certified for one major/certificate/employment concentration at a time per semester. 

Training Time
The amount of money you are paid each month depends on the number of units that were certified:

  • 12 units = full time benefits
  • 9-11.5units = ¾ benefits
  • 6-8.5 units = ½ benefits
  • 3-5.5 units = ¼ benefits (1/4 time payment will be reimbursement of tuition only.  If you have Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver then you will not receive any money from the VA)

Summer Term, 6 units are full-time if the length of the course(s) are 8 weeks. 4 units are full-time if the length of the course(s) are 6 weeks.

Veterans Standards of Progress

Veteran's taking a course that lasts less than a semester will only be paid for the actual enrollment period. If the veteran receives an "F" or "W" grade for non-attendance, he/she will be liable to repay the VA from the date he/she stopped participation in the class. Continuing and returning students previously enrolled for VA assistance and wish to continue to receive benefits MUST submit a Statement of Responsibility form to the Financial Aid/Veterans' Office each semester. It is the veteran's responsibility to promptly notify the Financial Aid/Veterans' Office of any change of program which would affect his/her VA assistance.

Visit the GI Bill Website for up to date payment rates. 

Monthly Verification
Active duty veterans (CH30) and reservists (1606) must verify their enrollment on the last day of the month while in attendance to receive their monthly payment. This can be done two ways, by phone 1-877-823-2378 or by going online.  To verify your enrollment online go to The WAVES website. On this web site you can:

  • Submit a monthly verification of enrollment
  • Report a change in enrollment (You will want to first report the change to your VA Rep with the Statement of Responsibility.)
  • Report a change in mailing address
  • Change direct deposit information
  • View current benefit information
  • Sign up for an electronic monthly reminder message