The first annual "Battle of Riverside County" was played on Friday, April 3rd and was hosted by Riverside Community College. The MSJC women's tennis team defeated RCC 7-2. The day started with dark clouds and windy and the women fell behind right away. However, the sun came out and the energy of MSJC picked up with Escamilla earning the first point for MSJC. Lozano put a valiant effort in the number one singles position and kept fighting until the end of the match before falling to RCC. Lessley, Garcia, and Henderson were the next to follow. Valdez battled back and prevailed in the third set.
Doubles followed afterwards with Garcia/Henderson the first to win for MSJC. Escamilla/Valdez were the next to follow and Lozano/Lessley battled amazingly and fell short against the number one doubles team of RCC.
Today was the last match for the 2009 season. Post-season individual play begins on April 16 at Victor Valley College.
1. Houston (RCC) def. Lozano (MSJC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Lessley (MSJC) def. Khamis (RCC) 7-6 (4), 6-4
3. Escamilla (MSJC) def. Bloom (RCC) 6-3, 6-1
4. Valdez (MSJC) def. Baeza (RCC) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Garcia (MSJC) def. Rodriguez (RCC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Henderson (MSJC) def. Roeser (RCC) 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
1. Houston/Khamis (RCC) def. Lozano/Lessley (MSJC) 8-5
2. Escamilla/Valdez (MSJC) def. Bloom/Lopez (RCC) 8-1
3. Garcia/Henderson (MSJC) def. Rodriguez/Roeser (RCC) 8-0