Beginning Fall 2018, Academic Senate Agendas and Minutes will be posted to BoardDocs.
|SJC Associate Faculty Representative
|MVC Associate Faculty Representative
Michelle Vogel Trautt
|Roy Mason |
Associate Faculty Representative
What is the Academic Senate?
The Academic Senate is the primary voice of faculty in academic and professional matters. Its elected members come from full time and associate faculty ranks, from both campuses, and from a broad array of programs. It is the only body in the district that represents both full time and associate faculty.
In creating the California Community College approach to shared governance, state statutes indicate that the faculty shall be incorporated into college deliberations regarding a variety of issues, ranging from curriculum to budget allocation processes and administrative evaluation. The Senate is body representing the faculty in such issues, and it is the body that appoints faculty to committees, task forces, hiring procedures, and the like. The Senate is not a union; it is distinct from the MSJC FA, which represents the full time faculty in issues dealing with wage and working conditions.
Functions of the Academic Senate 10+1
In an effort to come in compliance with District and Statewide Senate regulations, your Academic Senate is now asking faculty to provide a brief description and to identify a 10+1 category for your proposed agenda items. The 10+1 categories are mandated by our state Academic Senate and can be found on our MSJC Academic Senate website. We have also listed them below for your convenience.
Academic Senate is an organization whose primary function is to make recommendations with respect to academic and professional matters.
Functions of the Academic Senate
1. Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites.
2. Degree and certificate requirements.
3. Grading policies.
4. Educational program development.
5. Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success.
6. College governance structures, as related to faculty roles.
7. Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes.
8. Policies for faculty professional development activities.
9. Processes for program review.
10. Processes for institutional planning and budget development.
Academic Senate Office
MVC room 830