This page will be frequently updated as events become available in Spring 2019. Please check back.
Not every event at the campus qualifies as an FYE Sanctioned Event. This page will be continually updated with important FYE events. Please check back to stay in the loop. If you see an event and want to know if it's sanctioned, feel free to email the FYE program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask.
Western Science Center Lectures
All lectures are on Thursday evenings at 7pm, but make sure to tell students to arrive by 6:45 (Doors open at 6:30) since the Western Science Center has had to turn away guests who have arrived late due to space issues. The lectures are free to members of the Museum, $5 for students with student ID cards and $8 for non-members. The Western Science Center is located at 2345 Searl Parkway in Hemet and is fairly close to both campuses. (www.WesternScienceCenter.org)
- February 7 - Herbert Alarcon, History Department - Greco-Roman Mythology: Two Sides of the Same Coin
- October 4 - Morgan Hoodenpyle, History Department - Film Mythology
- April 5 - Christina Yamanaka, History Department - From the Early Origins to the Rise of the Modern State: The Role of Shinto in Japanese Society
- May 4 - John Torres, Anthropology Department - The Navajo Hero Twins: Fighting Monsters Then and Now
SJC & MVC Library Workshops
Workshops are offered every Wednesday & Thursday from 12-12:30 throughout the semester. For the current calendar visit http://msjc.libcal.com/ These short, 30-minute mini-workshops will provide you with the essential skills you will need to be a successful student. Consider attending more than one and you'll soon be moving to the top of the class.
Workshops are offered throughout the semester. These are always free to you. Your success will depend on whether you are proactive and seek out the extra help you need before you find out you need it, and it is too late. Check this page throughout the semester for the latest additions. As a reminder, your participation in the FYE program requires attendance at one "FYE sanctioned event." The workshops listed here are FYE sanctioned events. All students are invited! Just show up!
MVC Writing Workshops - Learning Resource Center - Building 800
- Approaches to Studying - 1/24/2019, 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM
- Time Management - 1/31/2019, 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM
- Reading Tips - 2/7/2019, 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM
- Sentence Style - 2/13/2019, 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM
- Creating a Research Topic - 2/21/2019, 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
- Essay Organization - 2/27/2019, 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM
- Thesis Statements - 3/6/2019, 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM
- MLA/APA - 3/14/2019, 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM
- Quote/ Paraphrase/ Summary - 3/28/2019, 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM
- Creating a Research Topic - 4/3/2019, 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Integrating Source Material - 4/11/2019, 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM
- Avoiding Plagiarism - 4/17/2019, 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM
- Writing a Research Paper - 4/25/2019, 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
- Annotated Bibliography - 5/1/2019, 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM
- Improving Your Writing Style - 5/9/2019, 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM
- Timed Essays - 5/15/2019, 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM
For more information, contact Ted Blake: email@example.com or 951-639-5487
These free, 1 hour workshops, cover a variety of topics: MLA & APA, Avoiding Plagiarism, Thesis Statements, Annotated Bibliographies, Essay Organization, Revising Drafts and more. Take this opportunity to improve your writing by attending several of the 15 workshops scheduled this session.
SJC Writing Workshops - Learning Resource Center - Room #305 in the Library
Each workshop will last approximately 50 minutes.
Your attendance (and your arrival/departure time) will be recorded for your instructor(s). Questions - contact Andrea Hammock (951) 487-3755 firstname.lastname@example.org
All students are invited! Just show up!
- Studying and Notetaking* - Thursday 1/24/19 @11am
- Selecting a Research Topic* - Wednesday 1/30/19 @ 11am
- MLA -Tuesday 2/5/19 @ 10am
- Commas* - Wednesday 2/13/19 @ 1pm
- Apostrophes* - Thursday 2/21/19 @ 11am
- Finding a Good Writing Process* - Monday 2/25/19 @ 11am
- Essay Exams & Timed Writings* - Thursday 2/28/19 @ 11am
- Reading & Metacognition* - Thursday 3/7/19 @ 4pm
- MLA* - Wednesday 3/13/19 @ 1pm
- Quotes, Paraphrases, & Summaries* - Tuesday 4/2/19 @ 10am
- APA* - Thursday 4/4/19 @ 11am
- Games to Improve Writing - Wednesday 4/17/19 @ 12pm
- Grammar Questions - Tuesday 5/2/19 @ 11am
- Essay Exams & Timed Writings* - Wednesday 5/8/19 @ 11am
* Co-Sponsored by the MSJC Honors Enrichment Program. All invited.
2+2 Business Pathway Info Session - 2/11/2019, 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
2+2 Business Pathway Info Session - 3/4/2019, 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
2+2 Business Pathway Info Session - 3/25/2019, 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
2+2 Business Pathway Info Session - 4/22/2019, 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Brown Bag Forum at MVC - 3/26/2019, 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
Brown Bag Forum at SJC - 4/2/2019, 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE