Distance Education Student Orientations
View the MSJC Calendar of Events to register for an on campus Distance Education Student Orientation. Orientations are scheduled the week prior to and the first week of the semester at both the Menifee and San Jacinto Campuses. If you care not available to participate in an orientation, you can get help by attending Canvas Open Studios or scheduling a one-on-one support appointment.
Canvas Open Studio for Students (walk-ins):
Monday, 10/9 MVC, Rm 814 1:30pm – 4:00pm
Thursday, 10/12 SJC, Rm 112 1:30pm – 4:00pm
Dates COMING SOON!
One-on-one meetings to assist students with Canvas-related questions/concerns:
Register to participate in one-on-one meetings
All others, are being asked to call the office to schedule a meeting 951.639.5446
The MSJC Online Program Mission:
- Provide a high quality learning experience in every course
- Deliver regular effective contact from instructors
- Offer over 100 different courses including over 450 sections
- Online courses delivered via Canvas Learning Management System
- Access to integrated email system using Microsoft Office 365
Follow these 6 steps to take online courses at MSJC.
Step 1: Apply for Admission
- Identify the program of study you are interested in (if you are undecided that is ok).
- Identify your goals (if you are not sure that is ok).
- Know your social security or student/F2 visa number
- Know your California residency start date.
- Apply for Admission
Step 2: Prepare for online learning.
Step 3: Find an Online Course
- Join a waitlist if available.
- If a seat opens seven days or more before the class start date, the student highest on the list will be automatically enrolled, notified through email and an automated phone call. NOTE: Check your email frequently.
- If a seat opens seven or less days before the class start date, automated registration from the waitlist does not occur.
- An instructor has the discretion to add students based upon enrollment caps for the course. Instructors will contact students on the waitlist in the order students are waitlisted after completion of the Initial Check-In period (two days after the start date of a course).
- Students are not to contact instructors for an add code. Instructors will notify students on the waitlist whether there are openings in a course.
- Pay the fees within four days or you will be dropped for non-payment. Same day pay takes effect 72 hours before a class is scheduled to begin
Step 4: Enroll in an Online Course
Step 5: Log Into Your Course
- Log into msjc.edu and select the link to Canvas .
- Select the course from the list of courses in which you are enrolled within the Canvas Dashboard .
NOTE: courses open five days before the course starts. If your course is not visible on the dashboard, check your All Courses list to see if the course has been published by your instructor.
Step 6: Check into Class
- Open the course and follow the Check-In instructions.
- You must check in within the five days before and up to two days after the course starts.
Failure to do so will result in a drop from the course.
- Review the course syllabus and schedule. Contact the Instructor with questions.