March 19, 2015
Eight candidates submitted applications for the vacancy on Mt. San Jacinto College’s Board of Trustees for Trustee Area 1.
The board voted in February to appoint an individual to fill the vacant seat rather than call for a costly special election. The seat for Trustee Area 1 became vacant after Eugene Kadow resigned the end of January.
There are five Trustee Areas for Mt. San Jacinto College. Trustee Area 1 takes in communities that include Cherry Valley, Beaumont, Banning and Cabazon and reaches into Idyllwild, Anza, Aguanga and a portion of Temecula. Mr. Kadow’s term would have expired in 2016. The appointee will serve out that term.
The Riverside County Registrar of Voters has confirmed this week that the following applicants qualify to serve in the seat for Trustee Area 1 (only one person will be selected):
- Nancy Carroll, of Beaumont, who is the Beaumont City Treasurer.
- Dr. Sherrie Guerrero, of Cherry Valley, the associate superintendent of Instruction & Institutional Effectiveness at Chaffey College.
- Eugene G. Kubina, of Beaumont, a retired teacher.
- Dr. Robert C. Newman II, of Redlands, in agriculture.
(The Riverside County Registrar of Voters has confirmed Mr. Newman’s property is within the boundaries for MSJC’s Trustee Area 1).
- Michael M. Rose, of Banning, adjunct counselor at Mt. San Jacinto College.
(If selected, Mr. Rose would be required to resign from his part-time counseling position).
- Brian Sylva, of Beaumont, Sports Information Specialist at San Bernardino Valley College.
- Dr. Lyndon E. Taylor, of Banning, educator/businessman.
- Joseph Williams, of Temecula, Director of Technology at Perris Union High School District.
Interviews will be conducted at a special public meeting to be held at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 26, 2015 at the San Jacinto Campus in the Board Room at 1499 N. State Street, San Jacinto, CA, 92583. At that time, the public will have the opportunity to comment. The Board will select the appointee by a majority vote. Once a selection has been made, the appointee will be sworn in at that meeting.