January 24, 2014
Mt. San Jacinto College Board of Trustees held a Work Session followed by its Board meeting on Jan. 23, 2014.
The work session included:
- An update on the 2011-2014 Strategic Plan from Superintendent/President Dr. Roger Schultz, Associate Dean of Institutional Effectiveness/Grants Rebecca Teague and Nik Mesaris from the Research Office. The board will see the final report on progress of the 12 key institutional goals in June.
- A review of Board self-evaluation findings, which trustees will revisit in the Spring.
- Sexual Harassment Training.
- Updates on College Survey Results relating to bond measure feasibility.
- Recent state, federal and accreditation requirements related to student success.
The Board considered future college priorities for the next one to three years. Increasing access, transfer rates, and partnerships with community projects and campus safety and security were among the priorities discussed. Others included, increasing access for Hispanics, raising awareness in the Southwest corridor, pursuing a bond and reviewing the Educational Master Plan for amendments. The Board will finalize the future priorities in the summer.
During the Board meeting, trustees heard an update on Gov. Jerry Brown’s proposed 2014-15 budget and reviewed draft policies. The regular January 2014 meeting was rescheduled from the routine second Thursday of the month to allow faculty, staff and students to return from the winter break. Budget presentations can be found at msjc.edu/BudgetWatch
Superintendent/President Schultz told the Board that Mt. San Jacinto College received prestigious recognition when it was named one of the top 150 colleges across the nation by the Aspen Institute
The board approved the following administrative appointments:
Melissa Kane will serve as interim Vice President of Human Resources from 1-20-14 to 6-30-14. Ms. Kane joined MSJC after Vice President of Human Resources Irma Ramos joined North Orange County Community College District on Jan. 21 as Vice Chancellor of Human Resources.
Patricia Howell will serve as Associate Dean, Human Resources, effective 1-13-14. Patti filled a vacant position that was reclassified to an administrative position.
Micah Orloff will serve as interim Dean, Library, Technology, & Distance Education from 1-8-14 to 6-30-14. He is temporarily replacing Pat James, who recently retired. Micah was previously the @ONE Director at MSJC.
Teri Safranek will serve as interim Director of Continuing Education and Workplace Training from 1-6-14 to 6-30-14.
Nik Mesaris will serve as interim Director of Research from 1-10-14 to 12-31-14.