May 28, 2015
The Mt. San Jacinto College Board of Trustees approved the appointment of members to the Independent Citizens’ Oversight Committee during its regular meeting on May 21, 2015.
A Citizens’ Oversight Committee was required by Prop. 39 after the passage of Measure AA, the $295 million facilities bond passed in November, 2014. MSJC appointed nine members (two more than required to ensure diverse representation) from a pool of more than 20 candidates. The appointees represent various groups: One student; one member of the business community; a senior citizens’ organization member; a member of a tax payers association; a member active in a college-support organization and three community members at large.
The following were appointed to MSJC’s Independent Citizens’ Oversight Committee:
- Brenda Maya Esparza – Student Representative – San Jacinto
- Dee Cozart – Business Representative – San Jacinto
- Dennis Anderson – MSJC Support Organization (MSJC Foundation Board) – Hemet
- Darryl Drott – Taxpayers Association – Menifee
- Altie Holcomb – Member At Large – Menifee
- Robert “Bob” Botts – Member At Large – Banning
- Salvador Valdivia – Senior Citizen’s Representative – Beaumont
- Judy Guglielmana – Taxpayer Association – Lake Elsinore
- Amy Campbell – Member At Large -- Temecula
In other updates:
Michael Williams, managing director at C.M. de Crinis & Co. provided the Board a brief update regarding the Series A sale of bonds for Measure AA. The first $70 million has been released. Bonds are available for sale in $5,000 amounts. Property owners will begin to see Measure AA on their December 2015 property bills.
Rebecca Teague, associate dean of Institutional Effectiveness, and Nik Mesaris, interim director of Research, presented information on the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office initiative called the Institutional Effectiveness Partnership Initiative and the recommended indicators for MSJC’s performance indicators.
The Board was notified that the Academic Excellence Committee recommended the advancement of Larry Barkley from the rank of Associate Professor to Professor of English.
The next regular board meeting is scheduled for June 11, 2015. It will be held at 3:30 p.m. at the San Jacinto Campus, Room 200 and linked to Room 851 at the Menifee Valley Campus.