September 11, 2015
The Mt. San Jacinto College Board of Trustees adopted the largest budget in the district’s 52-year history during the board’s regular meeting on Sept. 10, 2015.
The general fund budget adopted for 2015-16 is $72.8 million and the district’s total budget adopted for this fiscal year is $212.7 million. The total budget includes Measure AA funds.
The unrestricted general fund pays for operations, materials, supplies, salaries and benefits, among other things. The District’s total budget includes funds that are restricted for use in specific areas.
MSJC expects to serve 11,832 full-time equivalent students in 2015-16, which represents 5 percent over the amount of per-student funds MSJC will receive from the state, as mandated by the MSJC Board. In the 2014-15 adopted budget, MSJC planned to serve 11,029 full-time equivalent students.
In 2015-16, MSJC plans to:
- Hire 10 New Faculty Positions
- Hire 10 replacement faculty for SERP, Golden Handshake, Retirement or Resignation
- Two new non-faculty positions
- Six interim faculty positions
- Include Salary Step and Column funding
- Include 3 Percent Increase for Enrollment Growth to provide more access to students
- Provide a full Summer Session
- Designate reserves for STRS, PERS & OPED liability
- Maintain a 6% Board Reserve
The college District worked with the Budget Development Committee (comprised of faculty members, classified staff, administrators and students) and college constituencies on maintaining the quality of programs and services.
The board also approved hiring a contract coordinator at the San Jacinto Campus and a districtwide project coordinator. The two positions would be responsible for overseeing Measure AA contracts and projects and the positions are paid for out of Measure AA funds. The measure cannot be used to pay for administrative salaries, so the district plans to hire an associate dean out of district funds. The associate dean will supervise the two new positions.