Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Top Help (new window)
Sign In
MSJC > Student Services > Financial Aid > Financial Aid Programs

Financial Aid Programs



Grants are gift aid awarded on the basis of financial need. Sources of grant funds are the Federal Government, the State of California, and the California Student Aid Commission.

Get video answers to your financial aid questions ​ 


Federal Financial ​Aid Programs



Gift aid assistance to undergraduates who have not yet earned a baccalaureate or professional degree and who demonstrate finan​cial need. Award amounts are based on your financial need, cost of attendance, and status as a full-time or part-time student. Awards are prorated if you are enrolled in less than 12 units each semester.




Gift aid for students who demonstrate exceptional need. Funds are extremely limited. You must apply early to receive this award before funds are depleted. You must be enrolled in at least 6 units each semester to receive this award.




Students awarded FWS have the opportunity to earn up to the amount offered on the financial aid award letter. You must be enrolled at least half-time to receive this award. FWS funds are limited. To maximize your chances of receiving a FWS award, you must file your FAFSA early and answer "yes" to interested in work-study on the FAFSA.


State Financial Aid Programs



Enrollment fee waiver for California residents or AB540 eligible who meet income criteria. This is not a cash award. See information below for more information on applying for the CCPG.
Apply for the CALIFORNIA COLLEGE PROMISE GRANT (CCPG) before you register for the Fall or Spring semester. The CCPG application is good for the whole academic year which includes Summer 2019, Fall 2019 and Spring 2020.

Please note: 
  • If you received a California College Promise Grant based on your initial FAFSA or CA Dream Act application submission and later determined ineligible, you will be rebilled for your registration fees.

  • ​​CCPG eligibility will be tied to student academic standing in the same way as priority registration. Students who are on academic/progress probation/dismissal for two consecutive semesters will no longer qualify for a CCPG waiver the following term. 

  • If you received a CCPG "C" award and you are applying to the EOPS or CALWORKS programs at MSJC, you may still wish to complete the separate CCPG application (in addition to the FAFSA) if you or your parents are receiving cash assistance from TANF/CalWorks, SSI/SSP, or General Assistance.

​ ​​



Gift aid awarded by the California Student Aid Commission for California residents. You must apply by the deadlines and be enrolled in at least 6 units to receive this award. Awards are prorated if you are enrolled in less than 12 units each semester.

  • WebGrants for Students - If you have filed a 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a California Dream Application you can go online and check the status of your Cal Grant application by logging onto the WebGrants for Students and creating an account. This secure site will let you view the status of your Cal Grant or Chafee application, update your address, view payment history or tell us you're changing your school.
  • If you are awarded or renewing a Cal Grant B award, the award is limited to four academic years for most students.
  • In order to receive the Cal Grant B award for your entire program of study (including after you transfer to pursue a Bachelor's Degree) it is suggested that you take 15 units per semester or 30 semester units per academic year.




The California Chafee Grant Program gives money to Foster Youth and former Foster Youth to use for vocational training or college courses. The Chafee Grant program, also known as the Educational and Training Voucher (ETV), is a federally and state funded program and is subject to the availability of funds each year.

  • The student must have been a Foster Youth between the ages of 16 to 18.
  • Not have reached their 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year.
  • The student must be under the age of 26 and have been eligible to receive services from the Department of Social Services Independent Living Program (ILP).

Award amounts are based on need. Applications can be submitted on line at





The purpose of the Student Success Completion Grant award is to provide the student with additional financial aid to help offset the total cost of community college attendance, and to encourage full time attendance and successful on-time completion.  The maximum award amout is $4,000 at 15 units.  To qualify for the SSCG:

  • ​Be eligible for a Cal Grant B or C award
  • Meet federal satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
  • Have unmet need to receive the SSCG
  • Maintain full time attendance




Scholarships are awarded by the MSJC Foundation and off-campus agencies and donors. Scholarships require a separate application from the FAFSA. Eligibility and enrollment requirements will vary by donor. 

For more information online, go to the MSJC Scholarship site.