MSJC Safety Drill 9 AM Tuesday, February 11
At 9 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 11, all MSJC students, faculty and staff will participate in a brief lockdown safety drill at all campuses.
This lockdown drill – expected to last about 10 minutes – is designed to help us all better prepare for possible lockdowns at MSJC. This is a shelter-in-place exercise, not an evacuation. You will remain in your classroom during the drill.
You must prepare now for the drill by updating your emergency contact information so we can test your email, text and phone numbers. Remind fellow students and others on campus about the drill so they can also be prepared.
During the Feb. 11 lockdown drill, expect to receive emergency communications via email, mobile phone texts, and landline phones in district offices and classrooms.
Here are some specific instructions for locking down in your classroom once you receive the order to lock down.
If you are outside on an MSJC campus during the drill, please find the nearest facility and follow the instructions below. Remind those inside the facility that this is a safety drill.
- Inform your instructor and fellow students of the drill. Please lock all doors and windows immediately if your instructor is unable to do so. If your room has a lock block, please use it. If a door can’t be locked, attempt to quickly block the door with heavy items. Be sure to review how to use the lock blocks in this informational LOCK BLOCK VIDEO.
- Never open doors or windows unless ordered to do so by a safety or school official. Always ask for documentation from an official to confirm their identity.
- Turn off all lights, and close the blinds or curtains.
- Stay low and away from the windows and doors.
- Stay inside the classroom.
- Silence televisions, cell phones and other electronics. Keep an eye out for text alerts via cell phone.
- Assist those with special needs.
- Stay locked down and await additional instructions, including the eventual “all clear” message.
We appreciate your help in making MSJC as safe as possible.