First Year? We’ve Got Your Back.
The MSJC First Year Experience (FYE) Program is designed to make sure you have a smooth transition into college life. We’ll provide you with extra support during your first two semesters so you can successfully complete your basic skills coursework and transferable college-level courses that contribute to your degree. FYE will help you to achieve your educational dreams.
FYE Program Highlights
- Early Registration
(The deadline for students desiring early registration in Fall has passed. Students who successfully complete the checklist and FYE program requirements in Fall will be eligible for early registration in the Spring session.)
- Book Award for Successful Completion of Program
- Orientation on College Life and Financial Aid
- Savings on Textbooks and Supplies
- Access to Dedicated FYE Faculty and Counselors
- Supplemental Instruction in FYE Courses
- Peer Mentoring
- College Skills Workshops
- Career and Transfer Planning
- Activities for FYE Students
Students who successfully complete the FYE Checklist - Fall 2018.pdf will be eligible for the $250 FYE Book Grant that may be applied to the purchase of textbooks for the Spring 2018 semester.
FYE Program Requirements put the odds of success in your favor!
Put the odds of success in your favor and join the First Year Experience Program today!
- Enroll in an English course each of your first two semesters
- 50% who passed English met their degree goals
- Enroll in a math course each of your first two semesters
- 55% of students who passed college-level math within two years of enrollment met their degree goals
- Enroll in and complete Guidance 100 in the first semester
- Taking a guidance course in your first year leads to 30% higher likelihood of making it to your second year.
- Meet with your FYE Counselor 1x every semester
- Stay on track with your Individual Education Plan, so you make it through college as efficiently as possible.
- Meet with your Student Mentor 2x per semester
- Get special assistance from student's just like you to build effective study habits, not taking, time management skills and more.
The MSJC FYE Program is supported by the California Community College Chancellor’s Office and the U.S. Department of Education.