Program review is a systematic process of data collection, analysis, and interpretation for effective planning and accreditation review. Program review ought to be a “360-degree” review or a review from all angles over time, of the effectiveness of an “educational program”. Fundamentally, program reviews requires an institution to ask important questions about itself and to perform analysis about its own performance. The review of the quality of effectiveness of Mt. San Jacinto College programs is an ongoing professional responsibility and should be both meaningful and practical. A complete program review cycle involves distinct conceptual steps: a precise and accurate description of things as they exist, evaluation of whether those things are sufficient or appropriate or “good enough” to satisfy the institution’s pursuit of excellence, planning for needed improvement, implementation of those plans, and evaluation of the effectiveness of the actions taken in achieving the desired results.
The major objectives of Program Review are to:
- State program goals and align future goals with the college’s mission and goals
- Collect and analyze data on key performance indicators, administrative unit outcomes, program activities and accomplishments
- Examine and document the effectiveness of administrative services
- Facilitate program improvement through analysis of student learning outcomes at the course, program, administrative and institutional level
- Aid in institutional planning and decision-making processes within the college structure
- To use program review data and goals as rationale for budget, staff, facilities, professional development, curriculum, and other planning decisions
- Comply with Accreditation Standards, Federal and State law, Title 5, and other legal certification requirements
Plans for improvement that result from program review should be integrated with or connected to overall institutional plans so that the regular institutional processes for setting directions and timelines, and providing resources for action, support the implementation of those plans.
: Here are the 2017-18 program review templates, instructions and resources