Skip Main Navigation

California State University

Cal Poly Pomona
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
CSU San Bernardino
CSU San Marcos
CSU Sonoma
CSU Stanislaus
Humboldt State University
San Diego State University
San Francisco State University

San José State University


Transfer Basics: CSU - "Cal State"

For students who wish to apply to a CSU the majority of these campuses will require the transfer student to complete their freshman and sophomore (lower division) levels at the community college prior to transfer - we call this "upper division transfer" because the student will enter the CSU at a junior (upper division) level having earned at least 60 transferable units. Students earn the 60 transferable units by taking courses that meet:

Non-Transfer General Education Requirements A.A./A.S. Degree:


Minimum Transfer Requirements:

60 CSU-transferable units which must include all of the following:
39 units from either of the following general education patterns:
  • CSU General Education Requirements

To include the 4 critical courses with a grade of "C" or better (also known as the GOLDEN 4):

             1. Oral Communications (Speech)
             2. Written Communications (English)
             3. Critical Thinking
             4. Mathematics

2.0 Minimum CSU-transferable GPA (2.4 for non-residents/international students)


Students should be aware that the requirements listed above are the minimum criteria needed to be considered for transfer. Some CSU campuses and/or majors may require students to exceed these minimum requirements to be considered competitive applicants. Some CSU campuses may allow a student to transfer as a lower division (less than 60 units). The CSU requirements above are subject to change. Thus, meet with your counselor every semester!

Transfer Admission - Counting Units:

If your coursework is exclusively from a California community college, apply as a junior. UC limits community college unit credit to a maximum of 70 semester (105 quarter) units, but grants subject credit for coursework beyond that.

California State University:

CSU San Marcos at Temecula Campus (TAG)


What is Cross Enrollment?

Cross Enrollment is designed for undergraduate students to have the unique opportunity to attend California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) campuses while they are still at Mt. San Jacinto College.  This program is especially useful for community college students who might want to transfer to a local CSU or UC campus, allowing them to take a course each semester at low cost.  We encourage all students who are interested in transferring to CSU San Bernardino, CSU San Marcos or UC Riverside to take advantage of this opportunity.  Cross enrollment program, will help you get to know the school you intend to transfer to before you get admitted! 

Cross Enrollment Form 2017

What is Cross Enrollment brochure​​